Tuesday 3 September 2013

Brooch, The Beach,The Unlucky Buddha, Cursed dolls and NYC foam hand

Above a set of images that show photographs of me at the beach. I have always loved the beach and it has always been somewhere that I feel at home with. I have SO many memories at the beach and because of this it is one of my favourite places to be.
When I was 6 my Nanny passed away and I was asked to choose an item from her house and I chose this beautiful frog brooch. The brooch somehow grabbed my attention and I claimed it for myself. However when I was several years older I watched 'Crossroads' where the three girls in the film bury there most precious memories. I decided in my "wise" years that it would be a good idea for me to make my own time capsule. So I put my frog brooch into a little box and buried it in my back garden. I don't know how deep I must have buried it because a couple of years later I couldn't find the beloved brooch. However when I was 15 my mum and dad was gardening and they found it. Since then I have come to appreciate this small token of my Nanny's death. I think when I was 6/8 I didn't really understand how death worked and how the person was never coming back. However now with my new understanding I have linked my memories of my Nanny to this object. 
These dolls signified quite a lot for me. First was my first trip away from my parents when I was 11 to Germany, this trip also signified a growing up stage. However these dolls do indeed depict a sinister tale- My friends 'claim' that when I was in the bathroom the dolls moved by themselves. Whether this is true I don't know but because of the strong memories these dolls represent I couldn't split from them.
The foam hand represented a future memory. I have always wanted to travel the world and when I was given the opportunity to go to New York City I knew I was going to take it. Therefore I worked hard at my part time job and saved for the trip and the expenses on my own. Because of this I was able to fully appreciate the fact I had brought this holiday by myself and I was fully independent. It has pushed me to save and pursue whatever dream I want. The Knicks game was my highlight of the trip because I got so into the basketball and therefore I saw it befitting to bring this in as one of my items.
The unlucky Buddha is quite ironic really. During my 11+ I really wanted to pass and prove to my family I could "out do my sisters" in the competitive way you do as children(and still know ;]). In the 11+ we were allowed to bring lucky charms- most children brought in beanie babies or stuffed toys- me however opted for six tiny Buddha's. The trick for luck with the Buddha is to rub his belly. I did this to all six of my Buddha's in the hope I would be able to do the best I could. However of course I didn't pass. But I am glad. I am glad I didn't get put into the grammar class at my secondary school because if  I did I wouldn't have been put into the best form in my year and meet my friends. So maybe just maybe the Buddha's gave me luck and I just did not know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment