Sunday 6 October 2013

Summary of Graphics Week

Graphics was the week I was most excited to carry out because of my previous relationship with the subject. This week surprised me quite a lot and I did things I had not experienced before. All of the tasks set I found really fun and enjoyed. I was especially surprised with the Typography focus as usually I am a bit anxious to make my own typography I realised I was really interested in this side. This I feel is one of the most successful things of the whole week because Typography is a huge part of Graphic Design.

Not everything I did looked perfect this week, but I'm glad it didn't because it mean I was able to work more freely and become less hesitant when trying to make a mark. The exercises at the start of the week (closing eyes and using the mouth to make marks) helped me a lot for the final task of creating a poster and just allowing myself with the potential of mistake. Accepting the mistakes can equate to beautiful designs. I think that my final poster and typography was very successful. The typography was unique and reminded me of aspects of nature and grotesque monsters. The poster saw me explore mark making drastically and leaving the water droplets to chance whether or not it turned out the way I wanted.

A lot of people commented on my typography when I made it and kept asking me how I made the type especially how I made them look so fluent together. Furthermore one of the tutors questioned me on what I saw In the typography this discussion of the beautiful and grotesque mix was really helpful for me. As well as this it allowed me further knowledge in future on to stress the relevance of the type and make people react in a way you intend. This is something I feel I succeeded in well, and learnt a lot from.

The whole week has taught me a lot especially the importance of mark making  and the way they can cripple or aid a design. It has given me more freedom to splat paint and not hesitate, looking back at the first lesson of Graphics. I had my eyes closed I trusted the image in my head and therefore did not hold back. This is something I want to use in the future by trusting the image in my head instead of my brain telling me to be careful when outlining. Another thing I learnt was the relevance of placing type in a particular place for emphasis. This was learnt when playing about with existing type and layering on my poster for the exhibition. I will defiantly with no question need this in the future.

Time management this week was constantly discussed by Andy the tutor and the importance of keeping to the deadline. It was added how clients will set you short deadlines, or even call you up in the middle of the night. This in mind it made me realise how I need to work fast but to a good quality now and in the future. I defiantly feel this week I carried out this project quickly and produced so much. The majority of the tasks I found really easy and was really happy with, the only thing which I thought I was going to struggle with was typography but I surprised myself so much. Another aspect this week which I learnt was how vital planning is. Andy told us that when working on such short deadline planning means you can get the real thing finished the way you wanted. This was really good advice and evident with the amount of planning I did when I plotted out what I was going to do for my Exhibition poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment